Sen. Rand Paul says he’s “considering” running for president in 2016

Rand PaulIn an announcement that surprised no one, Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) told reporters Wednesday morning that he is “considering” throwing his hat in the ring for the 2016 presidential race.

During a breakfast put on by “The Christian Science Monitor,” the freshman finally confessed that a presidential campaign wasn’t out of the question.

“I want to be part of the national debate. Whether I run or not, being considered is something that allows me to have, I think, a larger microphone,” Paul said during the breakfast.

“We’re considering it. We won’t make a decision before 2014,” he added.

The Kentucky Senator has long been the expected to follow in the footsteps of his father, former Texas Congressman Ron Paul. Paul the elder ran for president three times before retiring from public office last year (once as a Libertarian in 1988, and twice as a Republican in 2008 and 2012). Unlike his father, whose candidacy was never taken seriously by establishment Republicans, Rand Paul is considered one of the Republican frontrunners, along with Sen. Marco Rubio of Florida and 2012 vice-presidential candidate Rep. Paul Ryan of Wisconsin.

Paul solidified his popularity within the party and established himself as force to be reckoned with last month after he filibustered the constitutionality of Obama’s drone policy for 13 hours. The following week he won the Conservative Political Action Conference’s 2013 straw poll.

Only time will tell if his popularity will hold out through 2016, but given the passion of his father’s supporters, the excitement over a Rand Paul candidacy is unlikely to fade.

Comments

62 Responses to “Sen. Rand Paul says he’s “considering” running for president in 2016”

1. sda53 says:

Outlaw electronic voting or obama will be in again. He is changing laws for a third and fourth term now. This system is flawed and too easily manipulated so go back to the drawing board and paper ballots. My fear is we will not make it that long if obama is not removed. He is an Indonesian who is not now or ever been qualified for office but no one will correct this wrong. How many more muslim brotherhood did he just appoint? And this is allowed why??? Face it America our government is no longer under our control or anyone from this country.

• blair says:

ignorance is bliss

• /\rzxii/\ says:

barack obama holds no respect amongst the muslim community. please do not spread disinformation.

if the united states wishes to come to terms with the rest of the world, and right their wrongs, they need to focus on 3 key goals:

1. elimination of the federal reserve and re-implementation of a gold backed currency system. this will remove the financial power from the special interest to the government aka the people, and put your country back on common ground with the middle east, so that you can trade for oil properly in a respectable manner, like every other nation does.

2. return your armies back to your nation unless you are engaged in an actual war or assisting an allied force in emergency.

3. stop promoting bad health, ignorance and violence upon your people. they are hard working good people who deserve a government that works for them, not against them. stop allowing corporations, regardless of geographic origin, to dominate the market pushing cheap, fake, unsafe and unhealthy products in the name of profit and greed.

do these things, and your country will be much better off, along with the rest of the world. we do not have to have a problem, we can get along, if we all can just compromise with one another and be honest with each other.

• rz/\w says:

• sda53 says:

These are all true for getting our country back on track. It will never happen with obama spending like a drunken sailor. He may not be respected by some muslim but he has ties to the brotherhood and terrorist Our money has been sent by him to support and build up those who wish to harm us. He was brought up to be a radical. People are people that has never changed since the beginning of time. There are good in all races and bad for human nature is what it is always. We all depend on each other whether we admit it or not but we all must unite against the evil ones who would destroy us. We are all God’s children but that free will gives us the choice of how we treat others if to respect or wish to overcome and rule.

• drunkensailor says:

As a drunken sailor, I resent this analogy. Please don’t ever compare that jerk to us.

• sda53 says:

I do apologize and should have used different terminology. This was unkind and unnecessary of me. Please, I ask for forgiveness from all sailors as I was not thinking. I have two brothers who were Navy men.

• Melinda says:

lol

• bear says:

that,s if were around in 2016..i don,t get what,s to consider…if he,s with us..he,s with us.if he stands behind everything he say,s..what,s to consider..if he,s fighting for the constitution.what,s to consider..we don,t need another politicin blowing smoke up or ass..what possible harm can it do to say I WILL BE RUNNING IN 2016….if Obama now that he lost.doesn,t declare martial law..JOE BIDEN MADE A COMMENT..is their going to have to be more mass shootings for this bill to pass??? and my question would be..why are you and your boss going to pan some more red flag incidents…if they would have won..everthing would be good.ow that they lost.all of a sudden pople should be ashamed…I am ashamed..to sa Obama and is croonie.s represent this country..IN YOUR FACE U.N…

• muddycreekKYHIck says:

herehere

2. Bo says:

Go Paul go. Got our votes.

3. Roy parker says:

You got my vote if u go for it

4. Jhm12 says:

@sda53 I don’t agree with much at all that the president does, but idiots like you are ruining the Republican Party. Even if you’re not a republican, that is how you are viewed by anyone reading your comments.

• Tracy Horn says:

Senator, You have my vote in 2016. You’re the only glimmer of joy in presidential campaigning since Mike Huckabee was on the roster.

• sda53 says:

No, I do not choose either party. Conservative all the way where right is right and wrong is wrong no gray area. What I said it sadly true and documented. Why do you think he spends so much keeping school records sealed? Applied as foreign student, alias, his grandmother told of the day he was born in Kenya, bogus social security numbers and any one of these disqualify him and there is so much more. We do not really know who he is, Barry? It is documented he was Indonesian citizen when attended boys muslim school which means by US he had duel citizenship which disqualifies. Indonesia does not allow duel so by them he gave up US citizenship if he ever had it.His actions have proven his loyalty is not for America. Follow the crowd and don’t question and all will be right in your world.

• Janice Kipp says:

Correct the problems with voter fraud and then run and we will vote for you. Cannot LIVE through another repeat of last time, with voter fraud so rampant and NO ONE DID ANYTHING ABOUT IT. Obama should NOT BE PRESIDENT, by the election or the fact that he is NOT an American citizen….pick one.

• Traci says:

I think it is important to open your mind to who the person is rather than judging based on democrat/conservative. We have had some great presidents in the past on each side. The similarity was that they cared about the US, did their job as President and made positive changes.

5. Dread Pirate Roberts says:

I made a promise to myself after 2012 that I would never hold my nose and vote again. If that meant voting third party in a sure-to-lose vote, I would. But I could vote for Rand Paul!

6. Rand Paul has never played coy about this subject. He has always been forthright and direct, unlike so many politicians who deny that they have any interest in running for president. There are a lot of election regulations that make it difficult for someone to firmly state that they plan to run for president until they formally announce, so he still has to hedge his announcement a little. But everyone knows that, and much respect to Rand Paul for being such a rare breed of politician. I just hope his integrity doesn’t prove to be a liability when it comes to actually getting elected!

7. Melissa says:

You’ve got my vote if you keep up your stance! Constitutionalist all the way! NOT Republican or Democrat here. Stop the 2 party system.

8. Michele K says:

PLEASE run!

9. kevin says:

you have my vote and I would love to help with you campaign in my state of Missouri!!

10. Douglas E.Quade Sr. says:

You’ve got my families votes!!! We need more people like you sticking up for us the true Americans not the freeloaders !!!

11. John Lange says:

Rand Paul has my vote

12. Russell Smith says:

It’s always comical when some McCain/Romney supporter states their obliviously deluded opinion of how originalists are mere idiots ruining the Republican party. De-nial ain’t just a river in Egypt.

13. Gary Hirsch says:

Hello, If you run for president i will absolutely vote for you. If we could impeach this dumbass everyone voted for and put you up there now i would certainly do it. Good luck on everything and keep up the good work. I will stand right beside you. Thank you, G.Hirsch

14. Russell Smith says:

Paper ballots tallied by hand at the polling place in front of bonafide witnesses is the only legitimate form of voting. There’s absolutely no valid argument to the contrary, the manifest ignorance and corruption is staggering.

15. Elizabeth Gallien says:

Please, please run. You got my vote.

16. gogorat says:

SDA53, hes not an indo, hes an american. However, he is a fucking ass and a terrible president HANDS DOWN. ive never been involved with politics until his SECOND TERM. 3rd and 4th term manipulation doesnt even compare to fucking with the 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th deleting the 6th fucking with 9th 10th 22nd and 29th amendments that i count so far. he DOES need to be impeached. Impeachment is WAY OVER DUE!!! LOOK AT beghanzi (did i spell that right? probably not) but who cares about spelling right now. KICK Obama out of office, and lets see him run TODAY. THATS America.

I remember liking Obama a lot during his first term. Regardless of him accomplishing NOTHING, that wasnt important to me. What was important is that he tried. He went to schools personally and spoke about the importance of education. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xrSO1rHlDM <– where is THIS Obama disappear to??? Wheres the Obama that fought against the oil companies and tried to reduce gas and actually looked into people growing corn so AMERICA could make alternate fuel? In my opinion also, i actually thought sending troops to lybia immediately was a good thing. Ya he bypassed congress but he had a good intention. People were protesting their government because they saw egypt do it and became independant and thought "hey we want to have democracy too lets protest too!" Their leader said "if they dont want me as leader they can BURN" and did air strikes killing thousands. Some of the military defected, became freedom fighters to protect the people, and the damn LEADER of the RESISTANCE was a god damn guy that owned a bakery shop!! those soldiers even started killing women and children in the town of Tripoli JUST TO BAIT the freedom fighters to detour from their tactical targets and rescue that town knowing it was a trap. Shame on you america for blaming him for stepping up and saying fuck that shit. BUT HONESTLY, i dont know who this 2nd term obama is..

2nd term obama is a monster. He tries to ban all our amendments. ALL of them, uses kids to further his agenda, gives guns to mexican mafia to terrorize the US in order to push his anti gun agendas, and forced Obama care, which nobody wanted, broke constitutional laws, ties into 2nd amendment ban assistance, and invades privacy. I dont know who this new Obama is, but i wish we had the Old Obama back. First term Obama didnt accomplish anything, but he tried. That alone made him the best president in the world to my eyes.

17. Kelli Lentine says:

You have my vote and I will volunteer to help you in your campaign. I want America back!!!!

18. Irish says:

Hell YES!!!!!! He has My Vote!

19. Ray Miller says:

I claim no party. I’m conservative, and my views are conservative. I will vote for the person that has the guts to stand up for our Constitution, and believes that the American people have a right to be represented, and not manipulated. I’m tired of Democrats, Republicans, and any party that says one thing and does something else. Obama is short on promises, but long on threats.
    Every promise he has made, he failed at, and no real effort has been made to make them happen. Every threat he has made, he’s still working on. He said he would reduce the debt, by 50%, and he has managed to increase it by 200%. He promised to reduce healthcare costs, while healthcare cost has increased, by 30 – 50 %. Everything this man promises is a lie. On the other hand he still works hard, to deliver on his threats. I’ll vote against him, and Rand Paul, is still in the running, as far as I’m concerned.

20. Bruce says:

Waco , false flag mo. 3 Just a joke. luv you Ran

21. Willy Brown says:

YES! I’d rather see a conservative like Rand Paul than one more freaking RINO trying to act conservative.

22. Patrick says:

Maybe the Republicans should try a different approach for a change and consider Rand Paul. I mean, what they have been doing recently hasn’t been working, so why not give Rand a chance?

I know we’re going to be hearing “Oh, Rand is just like his father. He can’t win an election.”

Well, they went with McCain in 2008 and Mitt in 2012. How did those two elections turn out? Yeah, exactly.

RAND PAUL 2016!

23. Bob Archer says:

The only way this country will return to some sort of sanity is when we go to a photo ID voting system in every precinct, get rid of the early voting, and the only absentee voting allowed is for the military, and people working out of the country. If it is inconvenient for you to vote on vote day, then you don’t need to vote. Life isn’t made up on convenience. It is made up of doer,s and if you’re not a doer and miss vote day, oh well, try again next time. This my friends is called (PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY).

24. Robin Charland says:

Every VOTE must be counted , paper ,hard to fudge that,Back to the BASICS!!!! GO RAND…..We need a PATRIOTIC Change

25. Wallace says:

He really should so that we cn be through with him like we were through with Barry Goldwater after he ran. Let us just trounce him and grind him into the dirt like he is.

• sda53 says:

Get your head out of obama’s rear end.

• Wallace says:

I like it where it is. LMAO !!! Teabagger and cheap tea at that.

• sda53 says:

Not a teabagger, Republican or any other label you people have for those who do not agree with you. I am just a conservative that believes right is right and wrong is wrong with no gray area. I do not sway like a reed in the wind to be in any group. I can stand on my own and think for myself. Shame you do not have the strength to be your own person. Barry is the one we need to be rid of or who ever he is today, Hussain?????

• Wallace says:

Fortunately, there’s nothing you can do about our great President. You can hate all you want to, all you will do is get more ulcers. The next 4yrs is ours. Then the next 8 will be ours too. Hillary will trounce the hell out of the Baggers.

• sda53 says:

There is no love in you for family or country. Or are you one with your hand out for all the freebies so you can sit at home and hail obama? The debt alone is enough to be against the obama administration let alone all the muslim brotherhood he is appointing in various positions. You are a person of absolutely no loyalty . I do not hate obama but do hate his actions. He must go for our country to survive or do you want a dictator and UN rule. Such a simple minded one.

• Wallace says:

I am a Veteran who put my life on the line for this my country. I refuse to let any Right Wingers or others take it “back” from me. Yes, my hand is out for everything I am due. I have worked from the peanut fields of Virginia to being an Educator in one of the nations finest Universities. Now retired, I have paid my dues and will protect my young and my communities young. Thank the spirits that be for a President who feels the same way. Bless him and his cabinet. May even you be blessed.

• sda53 says:

I commend you and respect your service for God and country. Being for obama is being against the American values and freedom he is destroying. It will only get worse from here for he is in full steam ahead mode with his agenda. In time you will see him for the roach he is and always has been.

• Ksmith says:

Wallace your not a veteran. If your where then you know you where sworn in to protect or constitution and our country against foreign and domestic threats. I don’t know any veteran who wants to destroy everything that made this country. U piece of shit

26. go for it says:

Got my vote!! Go for it!

27. lessgov says:

this is why Rand SUCKED-UP to that jackass, Romney BEFORE his father withdrew from the race and while his dad was STILL TAKING CAMPAIGN CONTRIBUTIONS. his party would never allow him to run had he not been, a team player.

28. Brad says:

You sir are the best choice I have seen in awhile. Run and I will vote for you.

29. Jarrod says:

I, an adamant supporter of his father Ron Paul, will never and I repeat never vote for Rand Paul. He is nothing like his father. His father was a moderate libertarian who supported the government staying out of people’s private lives. Rand, on the other hand, try’s to take away individual’s rights every chance he gets. He absolutely disgusts me!

30. Adrian Benard says:

FINALLY
    Someone who actually cares about the nation, and knows true morals and values.
    This is what I’ve been waiting for.

31. hodge says:

Yes from northwest ohio

32. Jim Larkin says:

Drop the drone support, and I’ll support your candidacy.
    Respectfully,