‘The Bible’ TV show clobbers competition in ratings war

bibleNot only is the Bible the best selling book of all time, but it’s also a Sunday night television hit.

The History Channel’s new mini-series, aptly titled ‘The Bible,‘ blew away the regular network television shows, including Sunday night top dog ‘60 Minutes.’ As TheBlaze reports, the show pulled in 13.1 million viewers on its first night, making it the biggest cable entertainment telecast of the year thus far.

Broadcast network competitors in the 8-10 p.m. slot were not even close to the Mark Burnett-produced series, with runner-up ‘60 Minutes‘ drawing 11.95 million viewers. ‘The Amazing Race‘ — another Burnett show — nabbed 9.12 million viewers and only 5.08 million people tuned in to watch Donald Trump’s ‘Celebrity Apprentice.’

The Bible was also the number one trending topic on Twitter in advance of the show, and the mega-hit opening episode resulted in the highest traffic ever on History.com.

More episodes of the show will air Sunday nights through Easter on March 31.

1. sda53 says:

obama is bringing people back to God. Our creator can use evil for good purposes. God Bless America.

2. Roger Mitchell says:

Christians better start standing up again or become lion food I have watched this liberal P.C movement ruin this country. Have people scared to speak the truth less offending a Muslim or something else , This country was founded and created by Christians and I’m sick of the others running in here and wanting to bastardize my launage and religion and make me beand to their needs and wants , don’t like what we serve find another restaurant . I bet they would not accommodate my Christian ways in the Middle east any were ! And unless they wanted my Money I never saw or heard much English in Mexico either. Christains 10 Lions 0 as we now have guns (:

3. el polacko says:

saw the show for the first time tonight and i’m sorry to say that i thought it wasn’t much more than a low-budget, cut-rate “spartacus”. dreary acting, poorly choreographed fight scenes, and laugh-out-loud dialogue. if the rest of the series is like tonight’s episode, i’m gonna have to take a pass.

1. sda53 says:

Obviously you miss the deeper meaning of the message of God’s nature. It is not a high budget blockbuster trend film. It is a film for understanding in today’s times. I thought it hit the high points well. I really like it and can’t wait to see the other parts. Sorry you were disappointed.

4. Roger Mitchell says:

Like any movie its never as good as the book . The original movie the Bible from the mid 60’s was a really good adaption of the book to the big screen and no computer animation or CGI CGA ?what ever they call it But in the original movie it was not used ..I still find seeing Micheal Parks in Kill Bill as Adam in the Garden of eden as odd (:

5. Mb says:

I had more respect for Roma Downey before I read that she had Joel Olsteen as an advisor. There are many, many more intelligent, REAL Bible scholars than he. But nonetheless, the series is great! It should be a winner in bringing understanding of God’s Word to the masses in this TV oriented culture of today where the Bible is hardly ever read. Simplify it, and God wins, always!