Obama’s disturbing use of human props

There is a disturbing trend in the recent speeches of President Obama, and it was on full display during Tuesday night’s State of the Union address. This trend goes beyond emotional rhetoric, which the President has used successfully for years. Rather it the exploitative use of human props.

Think back to before the inauguration. On January 16, President Obama announced his ideas on aggressive gun control and came to the table armed with the letters of four young children. As he walked from the podium to a desk to sign a number of executive orders, he gave each kid a high five. Having signed the orders he gave each of them a hug.

Fast forward to January 29. President Obama flew to Las Vegas to announce his ideas on immigration reform. In the gym at Del Sol High School, Obama delivered a stirring, campaign-style speech. Though there were no case-in-point examples standing behind him, the entire assembly crowded into the room served as a backdrop in an event broadcast to the nation.

Obama made another speech on gun violence at the Minneapolis Police Department on February 4. Men and women in uniform stood at attention, straight-faced, arrayed behind the president. At various points in the speech, the president turned and referenced these police officers.

Finally, on February 12, President Obama gave his State of the Union Address and predictably, the room was peppered with human props. More than 30 gun violence victims sat spaced throughout the room including the parents of Hadiya Pendleton, the 15-year-old girl who performed at the inauguration that was tragically shot just miles from Obama’s Chicago residence. They sat next to the first lady.

Also in attendance were a few ordinary citizens with inspiring stories, all of which the president relayed. Menchu Sanchez, a New York City nurse who devised a rescue plan to save newborn babies in the path of Super Storm Sandy, sat on the other side of Mrs. Obama. Desiline Victor, a 102-year-old woman who stood in line for nearly three hours to vote, received a standing ovation. Lt. Brian Murphy, who was shot 15 times responding to the Sikh temple massacre in Wisconsin, sat directly behind Ms. Sanchez. They all seemed to feel honored to have been recognized.

But while these people were invited and honored, they were invited for the emotional capital they would produce in a nationally televised spectacle. The evidence is this: the cameras were trained on these guests of honor, the three heroes and the more than 30 impacted by gun violence. The cameras were poised, and when President Obama introduced each of the three remarkable individuals named above, they did not skip a beat in televising their faces to the nation.

When President Obama repeated over and over, “They deserve a vote [on gun regulations],” the camera’s didn’t scan the room passing over the faces of politicians and guests. Instead they picked through the crowd, settling here and there on the emotional profiles of those who have lost loved ones to gun violence.

They had a right to be emotional during the crescendo of President Obama’s State of the Union Address. Obama had no right to use their emotion to drive his brand.

Comments

Comments

1. ckehoss says:

Human Props? Sign me up! Unlike the others that you say are there on something other than their own free will, I, being of sound mind and body agree to stand up for victims of gun violence in a heart beat! Human props, give me a freaking break.

2. Roger Mitchell says:

Yes well Castro and Putin Mao Saddam Hussein also used to use children as props hell Hitler invented i think and Oh less not forget Kim Jong-il .. There is no such thing as gun violence just human violence . How about getting some knife and or axe controls also .. never hear about Knife violence . When I own the last gun in the world I’ll then give mine up.. last time someone tried to get violent with me and my wife all he got was shot he had a pistole a stolen one to come find out from up in Philadelphia His mistake was he just pulled it and stood there demanding money and my car.. I’m never going to be a victim no matter what Obama and the damn fools who believe him say or think no matter how many dumb ass adults allow their children to be exploited by the idiot and chief . Why not use his own churn would be my question They are somewhere safe and under armed Guard ..Just like my child now is (:

3. Ken Kato says:

1. People may be willing.
    2. Presidents have been doing this for a LONG time

The SOTU needs to go back to a hand delivered letter read by a clerk like it was for our first 100 yrs (minus Washington)

4. Paul says:

Anybody with two brain cells to rub together can easily figure out that what gun control is NOT ABOUT PUBLIC SAFETY…..It is about CONQUEST. A historically proven tactic for a government to enslave it’s people. The Democratic party doesn’t care if your safe, just as long as they can control you.

There are two kinds of Democrats: the ones who don’t know and the ones who do know. To the ones who do know I say this:

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America…and to the REPUBLIC for which it stands, not the democracy, the REPUBLIC.

…The democratic party can suck my republican balls.

1. ckehoss says:

Dearest Paul:
      Have you seen what the government can now do to another country like Iraq? If the government wanted your Pee Brain of a weapon, they would have it right now. I am a Republican and I refuse to allow the NRA to make this into something it is not. I can pack my glock and shoot the nuts off of your backyard squirrel if I choose to do so but we are talking about something entirely different. Unless of course, you are one of those crazy idiots that would like to take another one of our little first graders down with your Bushmaster, you will have to shoot me first. I am onto you!

1. Vdhawley says:

Gun violence is not the issue here. You need to open your eyes and heart, read books from before even I was born and realize there is a divide in this country and world that has been here since time began. Progressive movement has been in existence for a long time and their agenda is to force the conservatives to their side and the only way to accomplish this is through control. I have always heard prophetic voices warning about these controls and how slowly people are being deceived without even knowing it is a long time ploy of progressives to win this battle. They will eventually take our guns as well as other things that we hold on to as we were promised were our rights. The progressive movement is squeezing up from the bottom, crashing down from the top in effort to squash everyone still clinging to their rights in the middle. Do not be deceived for you will someday say, I should have listened and studdied history and warnings more. It will happen in your lifetime.

1. ckehoss says:

Sorry, but I refuse to live in fear like that. I would hope there are enough balanced minds out there to know when we are being attacked by our government and when we are not. Some of you paranoid people should just listen to yourselves. While babies are being murdered, you are running out to buy the very weapons used to kill them. There is really something wrong with that kind of thinking. I heard everything you said and I just want to throw up.

5. Alicia Geninatti says:

Yes, people are willing, and yes presidents have been doing it for years, so think for yourselves and realize that We the People are the country and it is not supposed to be run by this dictator of a man. The main point that I see here is that we all should have a fair say, My heart goes out to those who have lost loved ones to Gun violence but don’t think for a second that they are gonna take mine away. Death before Disarmament!!!! Impeach the Monster!!!!!!!!!

6. ckehoss says:

Get with the program people, keep your paranoia in check! No one, repeat, no one is taking your gun away from you. I have been shooting for years and I can hit the “D” in a Dr. Pepper can from 75 feet with a 9mm. What they want to do is take the freaking M16 types off the streets. Keep your itty bitty gun, sweety. That is nothing compare to the types of weapons being sought by the Adam Lanzas, drug smugglers, gangs, Christopher Dorners, etc etc etc of the country. End of story

7. cduke says:

Ckehoss you must be an idiot to actually believe mass shootings only happen because of guns like the m-16 style weapons… Sorry I’ll keep my right to own one thank you. I’m not going around killing people with it, just targets and small animals. But I guess in your narrow minded view anyone who owns one just wants to kill innocent children right?!?!

1. ckehoss says:

I hate to say but you fit the MO by everything you just said.

8. ckehoss says:

Adam Lanza got the same thrill that you get from shooting helpless animals. What is your next thrill sweety? You like being able to blow things up so much that there little bodies explode? Because that is exactly what attracts someone who wants to keep their right to do so. Yeah, I think you are seriously deranged. I live in Connecticut, hubby is a 28 year veteran cop, son is a cop and both are trying to help the victims of a boy who shared your interest in blowing stuff up. Get some help.

Secret Service once threatened Mr. Met's life

Mr. Met sure has a lot of fans in New York. But the larger-than-life mascot definitely doesn't have one in the Secret Service, who threatened to shoot and kill him if he approached President Bill Clinton, according to a firsthand account.

Jill Biden on Joe: "I fell in love with the boys first"

Second Lady of the United States Dr. Jill Biden didn't marry Vice President Joe Biden for his sense of humor -- instead, she "fell in love" with his two sons first.

Joe Biden's first Instagram photo

Ladies and gentlemen of this great nation, rejoice! Vice President Joe Biden has joined Instagram -- and his first post is everything you ever dreamed it would be.

Celebrate Tax Day with this ditty

What better way to celebrate curse Tax Day than with a little toe-tapping, finger-snapping ditty that perfectly describes how we all feel about the Internal Revenue Service?

Joy Behar roasts Chris Christie

New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie (R) may need some ice for a few burns he sustained from former "The View" host Joy Behar, as the comedian delivered an awkward roast of the 2016 presidential hopeful.

Jay Carney: “Never been a more transparent administration”

Despite consistent objections by journalists that the White House overly restricts press access, Press Secretary Jay Carney believes that there has "never been a more transparent administration."

Jay Carney: Toughest interview for Obama in 2012 was with Jon Stewart

Give comedian Jon Stewart a gold star sticker. The host of The Daily Show was President Barack Obama's toughest interviewer during the 2012 election cycle, White House Press Secretary Jay Carney said on Thursday.

The most powerful selfie in the world

Joe Biden — he's just like you, and he takes selfies, too.

Obama: Republicans a threat to the right to vote

President Barack Obama slammed Republicans on Friday for supporting voter identification law and labeled the GOP as a threat to the right to vote.

Republicans renew fight against Obamacare as Sebelius resigns

FOX NEWS -- Republicans responded to news of Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius' resignation from the Obama administration on Thursday with fresh calls to repeal the president's health care law.

Read more at FOX News.

Rep Black: GOP budget makes a path to a bright future

Our nation is $17.4 trillion in debt and out of control Washington spending has no end in sight. In fact, the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office estimates that on our current trajectory we will return to $1 trillion annual budget deficits by the year 2022.

Cruz: Impeach Holder

Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) pulled no punches when criticizing Attorney General Eric Holder on Thursday, as he called on Congress to impeach the Department of Justice head.

Pelosi: GOP not acting on immigration because of race

House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) pulled the race card when speaking about Republicans' inaction in passing comprehensive immigration reform and said "race has something to do" with the GOP not bringing such legislation to the House floor.

House passes Ryan's budget plan

The House on Thursday passed a 10-year Republican spending plan drafted by Budget Committee Chairman Paul Ryan.

Read more at The Washington Examiner.

Harry Reid's Koch-fueled meltdown

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) has been in a Koch-fueled rage, seizing moments left and right (mostly from the left) to bash Charles and David Koch.