Mayan apocalypse: panic spreads as December 21 nears

Ahead of December 21, which marks the conclusion of the 5,125-year “Long Count” Mayan calendar, panic buying of candles and essentials has been reported in China and Russia, along with an explosion in sales of survival shelters in America. In France believers were preparing to converge on a mountain where they believe aliens will rescue them.

The precise manner of Armageddon remains vague, ranging from a catastrophic celestial collision between Earth and the mythical planet Nibiru, also known as Planet X, a disastrous crash with a comet, or the annihilation of civilisation by a giant solar storm.

In America Ron Hubbard, a manufacturer of hi-tech underground survival shelters, has seen his business explode.

“We’ve gone from one a month to one a day,” he said. “I don’t have an opinion on the Mayan calendar but, when astrophysicists come to me, buy my shelters and tell me to be prepared for solar flares, radiation, EMPs (electromagnetic pulses) … I’m going underground on the 19th and coming out on the 23rd. It’s just in case anybody’s right.”

In the French Pyrenees the mayor of Bugarach, population 179, has attempted to prevent pandemonium by banning UFO watchers and light aircraft from the flat topped mount Pic de Bugarach.

Read more at The Telegraph.

Comments

Comments

1. David says:

yeah thats why some else dicovered that all the calender will do is start all over again.

2. JIm says:

If its the end of the world then why but anying it will do you no good, just crack a beer and go out with a smile:))

3. Isabella says:

I feel that there is no need to panic at all. The world is yet to survive for many more lacks of years. Ofcourse there are usual natural calamities taking place around the world due to various reasons. Attributing them to dooms day will be a folly. Let us be more wise and stop all these nonsense of spreading unnecessary fear among the public. Mayan themselves did not say that the world would end in 2012 nor NSA… so Why such wrong rumours…

4. Christine says:

I think that the hype about December 21st is greatly exagerated, whatever happened in the movies
    or on TV has not happened in real life. I also learned that there is no way a solar flare could fry us,
    we are well protected.

I know that if something were to happened, there would be signs all over the place, it would just
    happen, and we would have no time tor react. I think that we all need to just stop relying on
    false reports, and the idiots on you tube scaring people, nothing predicted for this year have come
    true. I know that there was a solar eclipse, but that is nothing, that is a natural thing.

Aliens, really? Oh come on now, these people have seen way too many science fiction and
    disaster movies, and when the documentaries are made, they were before this year, lots of fears
    and predictions have been false.

My final word: Get a life! Wake up and face reality! Life your life and stop spreading rumors, and
    I’m sure that one day when you meet Jesus on your death bed, he’ll want to know why you scared
    everyone into something that never happned. Geeze! Face reality!

5. michel says:

People! Wake up, end of the world will not, if it happens, we did not know, the little boy invented a site kalabashki_net and wants to collect a million to a new year and a half a million to give the last one who would make a contribution, I made ​​a contribution, and I do not care, going to last or not , but a dollar is not much, somebody will be happy in this world

6. Big Bad Wolfy says:

We are all going to die, but I doubt it will be on the same day

7. Philip Light says:

12/21/12 ? All will be fine , don’t worrie , I’m looking at a 2013 calender right know . Relax , roll one and fire up ! ;{)