Butt Chugging Leads To Severe Alcohol Poisoning Of University Of Tennessee Student

A dangerous drinking practice known as “butt chugging” sent a University of Tennessee student to the hospital with severe alcohol poisoning this weekend.

Early Saturday, 20-year-old Alexander P. Broughton of Pi Kappa Alpha was brought to the emergency room and showed a blood-alcohol level thought to be “well over” .4, according to the Knoxville News Sentinel. They believe he ingested the alcohol by butt chugging. Broughton appeared to be “extremely intoxicated and showed signs of physical and possible sexual assault,” a report obtained by the Knoxville News Sentinel states.

Butt chugging was formally known as an alcohol enema. An individual basically “drinks” the fluid into his or her rectum with a tube or hose. The alcohol’s effects come quickly and potently.

In the house, officers found several young males passed out in their bedrooms with “bags from wine boxes, some empty and some partially empty, strewn across the halls and rooms.”

Columbia Health’s Go Ask Alice! forum addressed the issue of butt chugging back in 2006.

“Because the primary job of the intestines is to absorb nutrients into the body, if you put alcohol directly into your colon, it will be absorbed much more rapidly than it would be if it entered your body orally,” Columbia Health’s “Alice” said to an inquiring student. “It can make you very drunk, very quickly. Because everyone’s body is different, it’s hard to judge how much or how quickly an alcohol enema would affect any one person.”

Read more at Huffington Post

Comments