NOMINATIONS OPEN!

Red Alert Politics accepting nominations for 2016 “30 UNDER 30” list 

Robert Gibbs: The Obama administration did not intentionally or unintentionally mislead on Libyan attack

The Obama administration did not “play down” what happened in Libya and Egypt on Sept. 11 to make Obama look good, former White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs said Sunday.

“Absolutely no one intentionally or unintentionally misled anybody involved in this – absolutely not,” Gibbs said on Fox News Sunday in response to a point blank question from host Chris Wallace.

The Obama adviser attempted to dodge lingering questions over when the United States knew that the attack was in fact premeditated as the Libyan President and Libyans involved had been saying since the beginning, using both the tired Obama campaign strategy of refusing to take blame for any of the Obama administration’s failures, combined with with the Obama campaign’s new ‘I’m rubber and your glue’ strategy to blame the Republican presidential ticket for every issue that arrises in order to distract voters from the current administration’s failures. Sunday morning was no different, and the former White House press secretary attempted to change the subject from the strike to Romney after being asked appropriately tough questions by Wallace about the Obama administration’s failure to accurately communicate the cause of the attack to the American people.

Gibbs defended U.S. abassassador to the U.N. Susan Rice’s false claims that the strike was not premeditated and was not anti-American in nature and was “spontaneous” in nature,” saying it was the best information that she had at that time she made them on Sun., September 16.

“The best information that we had at the point … she gave that answer is the answer that she gave,” Gibbs said. “As we have learned more and as this investigation continues, I anticipate we will continue to learn more facts about the awful assassination and murder of our great ambassador in Libya.

“You saw the White House say that this was a terror attack and nobody wants to get to the bottom of this more than the President and Secretary of State so that we can protect our missions and our consulates throughout the world and remain engaged,” Gibbs added.

Backed into a corner Gibbs did the only thing he could think to do: blame Romney-Ryan.

“You know Paul Ryan’s got a budget that would cut diplomatic security – we don’t think that’s a good idea,” Gibbs said attempting to steer the conversation toward Obama 2012 opponents Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan.

Gibbs also tried to justify White House Press Secretary Jay Carney’s inaccurate claims that the attack was spontaneous, saying that like Rice, it was the only information available to him at the time when he made those comments on Friday, Sept. 14.

“Again that’s an answer that the Press Secretary gave on September the fourteenth – that’s not on September the twenty-third. We learn more information every single day about what happened,” Gibbs said.

While Carney did in fact make that claim on Sept. 14, he stuck to his story on Tues., Sept. 18 – nearly a week after the attack – that it was indeed spontaneous, despite the increasing number of accounts to the contrary.

It was not until until Thurs. Sept. 20 that Carney finally acknowledged that the truth about the attack in the media.

“It is, I think, self evident that what happened in Benghazi was a terrorist attack,” the White House Press Secretary said. “Our embassy was attacked violently and the result was four deaths of American officials. That is self evident.”

Carney’s admission that it is “self-evident” that the strike in Libya was a “terrorist attack” calls into question the Obama administration’s reasons for    saying otherwise – reasons that were still unclear after Gibbs’ interview Sunday.